09.02.2023Why it is so important to manage spending now
With rising interest rates, inflation affecting millions of Melburnians and geopolitical pressures, it is crucial governments considers how they spend taxpayers’ dollars in the upcoming State and Federal budgets.
Read our State budget submission
Read our Federal budget submission
Committee for Melbourne has made strong recommendations to both the Albanese and Andrews governments in our pre-budget submissions, including:
- Review all major infrastructure projects that are supported by Infrastructure Victoria and Infrastructure Australia.
- Set up a visitor centre in Fed Square to boost connection and knowledge of what Greater Melbourne has to offer.
- Prioritise skills development and support for international students – focussing on building a workforce in identified growth industries like construction, health and aged care, teaching, financial services, and the IT sector.
- Develop a national energy transition plan and increase green hydrogen research.
- Increase the supply of social, affordable and public housing through further collaboration with the private sector.
- Deliver the clear plans for freight and to increase the number of skilled workers in the freight and logistics sector.
- Invest in transport to Fishermans Bend – including a tram network, potential metro station and the Webb Dock Freight Link at the Port of Melbourne.
- Collaborate with the Victorian Government, local councils, industry and the community, to develop and publish a comprehensive, integrated transport plan.
- Strategise a settlement plan for high-speed rail along Australia’s East Coast.
For media enquiries, please contact Leanne Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org.