06.08.2020The Docklands Gift – Project Objectives and Context
Committee for Melbourne Future Focus group project update
The Docklands Gift project is about creating a community event that welcomes visitors from Melbourne, regional Victoria and interstate to participate in the inaugural Victorian Athletics League (VAL) running event at the Ron Barassi Senior Park, within the Docklands precinct.
The VAL was established in 1895 and operates a series of handicap running events in Victoria as part of an overall calendar of events across Australia, culminating in the prestigious Stawell Gift.
Pro running or Gift races allows athletes of all ages and abilities to compete in a fun and competitive environment. Each athlete is given a mark, or handicap, based on their ability, giving them an equal opportunity to triumph in their chosen event. Gifts are traditionally held on a grass surface and distances range from 70m to 3200m. There is prize money for each race from $300 to $60,000 and a sash for every winner. The VAL provide a wide range of race categories and distances to ensure there is something for everyone.
- Enhancing activation, visitation and vibrancy of the Docklands Precinct through launching a community event
- Attracting people from Melbourne, Country Victoria and even interstate to visit and spend $$ within the Docklands precinct. Athletes and their families would attend the daytime carnival held at Ron Barassi Snr Park, some for the first time.
- Promoting the Docklands community and facilitating cohesion through involvement by local interest groups including the future Docklands Primary School, Docklands Sporting Group and the residents and traders groups
- Improving brand awareness and increase trading/business activity for Dockland traders and retailers within the local and the broader community.
- Proposed Docklands Gift Event Details
The Future Focus Project Group is proposing to coordinate a pro-running event on Saturday 20th March 2021, partnering with the Victorian Athletic League, The Docklands Sporting Club, City of Melbourne and Development Victoria.
The carnival is proposed to include events for registered pro athletes and events for Little Athletics. There will be an opportunity for local businesses to sponsor, trade and promote themselves as part of the event.