Meet the Minister: The Hon Jacinta Allan MP
The Committee was pleased to welcome The Hon Jacinta Allan MP to update members on the Victorian Government’s ambitious infrastructure agenda.
With the portfolios of Transport Infrastructure, and the Suburban Rail Loop, Minister Allan expressed pride that infrastructure construction had continued to underpin Melbourne’s economy throughout the pandemic.
High on the government’s agenda is preparing Melbourne’s transport system for a population of approximately 9 million by mid-century, which will require seamless connectivity and the development of sustainable communities around key transport hubs. It is hoped that new precinct developments along the Suburban Rail Loop and the Metro Tunnel will generate great job opportunities and amenity.
The Minister acknowledged the Committee’s call for the design and publication of an integrated transport plan, which considers land-use and economic development. She affirmed that each project has integrated planning and that city-wide planning was a moving concept.
Minister Allan joined Committee board member and McKinsey Partner, Ishaan Nangia, Urbis Director, Sarah Horsefield, and Monash University Chief Operating Officer and Senior Vice-President, Peter Marshall, for a panel discussion, addressing the importance of:
- Consideration of the future of work, e-commerce growth and autonomous transport, on transit network planning.
- Seamless intermodal transport, including road, rail and active transport.
- Consistent and streamlined planning, especially for major precinct developments.
- Ensuring adequate infrastructure for the growing freight and logistics sector.
- Measures to enhance construction productivity to help reduce costs and avoid over-runs.
The Committee would like to thank event sponsor, Urbis, to Minister Allan for her participation, as well as Ishaan, Sarah and Peter for their insights.
For information on the Committee’s transport agenda, contact Brett Van Duppen, Senior Policy and Research Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch the event here